15-11-12 - Tote bag wars

This year I planned a trip to take my year 2 students up to London docklands Excel centre for the 2012 UCAS fair. The fair is a great opportunity for students wishing to progress onto higher education meet with course lecturers and students and discuss the nature of any courses they are interested in. The fair is always busy and gets bigger and better every year. There was a series of lectures on throughout the day covering topics such as Portfolio design, Funding and course related areas.

With having some many students going to the fair over tow days is is essential that the stalls their capture the biggest audience and essentially fill you head with masses of information and you hands with a much free stuff as you can hold in an attempt to persuade you to apply to their institution. Being a lecturer I seemed more of a target than the students with course leaders and representatives wanting to fill my head and hands so that I would go away and discuss my experiences and interested with the students (a rather abstract experience at times).

It seemed that the designer tote bag is still going strong and that you wasn't worth applying for unless your chosen university had a tote bag with it name on it (an essential piece of equipment in the branding toolkit). well I cannot remember the last time I cleft a fair with some much stuff, pencils, usb sticks, booklets, badges, posters, and of course the infamous tote bags. It does work as i have seen at least 50% of my students use these bags and free promotional equipment since returning to college. Below is a collection of my totes showcasing institutions approach to remind people of their name.









No comments:

Post a Comment