26.10.13 - Meeting Rob Ryan

Anyone who has followed/ read/ come across my blog, or who knows me remotely well, will know my absolute love for the work of Rob Ryan, he is my creative idol. Having studied his work made up of intricate paper cuttings, harmonious screen prints and inspirational literature, I have collected a large amount of his books, visited many shows and collections and generally get excited about everything that comes out of Ryan Town! in fact the only thing that I am missing is an original piece of Rob Ryan work (Rob if you ever read this??). 

So you can only but imagine the expression of my face when finding out on twitter that not only was Rob releasing his new book "The invisible kingdom" but also going to be carrying out a book signing! "a chance to meet Rob, say no more". Now I often hear about local celebs doing book signings and people queuing for hours but! artists aren't like celebs! they hide away in their creative dens and very rarely show their faces to the public, for this reason alone, I was to make Saturday my mission to meet the inspirational Rob Ryan. The event was based at Sims reed gallery in Green park buried amongst various sculpture showrooms and rare bookshops, the perfect setting. The book had only been published and launched 2 days prior to the signing and so those turning up to event had no idea what was in store for them. The team had taken over the gallery space showcasing some of robs new work from his recent collection "There is only time' adding again another reason to attend.  

Well I met Rob, had a little chat about how I am his biggest fan, and I took the opportunity to get my entire collection signed! One of Robs team members noticed me in the line, books stacked high in my arms and quoted "I don't think anyone is going to beat you today! well that's what I like to hear, I think he was impressed. I have only read a few pages of the invisible kingdom so far which is part of a trilogy series Rob is working towards. I just want to say Thank you Rob Ryan, you mad my day!










No comments:

Post a Comment