19-09-12 - Six Degrees

From previous posts you may all be familiar with my colleague and friend Jen Hale who for the last two years has been working on her MA in Fine Art at the University of East London. Jen has previously mentioned to me that when starting her degree she had no direct focus  on a particular topic or theme and was completely open to experimentation and natural development (something we all try to get our students to do). Jens work started to wander in the direction of airports, flight paths, studies of direction, airport expansion and how airports have developed through time. This developed through visual communication and the essence of graphic design is potentially a wide exciting topic to play on. I was looking forward to visiting Jen Hales end of year show, something that I was very excited about considering I am also interested in starting an MA in the near future.

I had only an incline of what to expect, although I had been in constant discussion with Jen about her doings, findings and progress and with baring witness the the mass materials being wheeled in and around our building as Jen worked every possible hour in an attempt to dominate her MA show.
I think it would be fair to say Jen did, upon entering the MA show I was warned my Jen that her work was spread around and visible from every angle, space and room (much in the way a plane can be seen for miles). The work showcased ranged from hand cut paper stencils, concrete casts, video installations and performance based pieces, 6ft square paintings on walls, screen printed foil drapes and much much more.

Below is more or less a walk through the exhibition, I thoroughly look forward to having Jen back now (Especially as she will be part of my team this year) and witnessing how her MA has inspired her enthusiasm, freshness and approach to projects. Please do check out Jen Hales Blog as some of the work is for sale should you be interested.










1 comment:

  1. I appreciate your support Dan, coming to visit my show and your enthusiasm in helping me out through the past two years with advice. I am looking forward to your MA work to come in the future I hope :)

    ReplyDelete